More 1.7.4 updates

The lighting setup was changed for 1.7.4, now it uses a three point arrangement using Area lights. It was heard through the grapevine that people were not happy with the current setup, I am not sure why, they can be edited or deleted at will but none the less, I figured a change was maybe due?


So now that has been committed to the Dev branch.

Why a three point arrangement? Well it is a common lighting setup in not only CG but in real life photography and film. There is a Key light which is your "action" light, the Fill light which serves to "fill" the subject with a uniform light source and the Back light which brings out contours from the rear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-point_lighting

So all that is left to do for this version is fix the texture maps, which has been proven VERY difficult to do but progress is being made. One of the key issues is that I am working in the 2.80 Beta, it's not ready for production and has bugs, so for example there have been bugs in the Texture Paint area, an area I have been using a lot lately so these bugs have been hampering my workflow quite a bit. As of this morning two bugs I experienced have been fixed so far as I can tell, so maybe progress can happen at a faster pace now. I am hoping to have this update ready by early May, I want to have these maps uploaded by this weekend and then do testing for a couple of weeks before "release".

That is the plan, it may happen sooner than later depending on the stability and how many people report pre-release bugs. If anybody does that is.


Comments